Saturday, August 30, 2008

More Quick Movie Reviews + Photo Stills

Here are more reviews of movies that I've watched recently, along with some still photographs that I took myself.

The White Gorilla (1945) - 3/10
This film is included in the Tales of Terror 50 Movie Mega Pack. It is more of an adventure film (set in Africa) rather than a horror movie. A very low-budget affair that splices in footage from a silent movie from the 1920s. The results are comical and atrocious at the same time. There are nice shots of elephants, lions and hippos, however.



House of Usher (1960) - 7/10
I love Edgar Allan Poe and Vincent Price, so I was really looking forward to watching this as this was the first in the American International Pictures foray of the Poe films directed by the legendary B-movie director, Roger Corman. In all honesty, I felt that the movie dragged on a little bit too long for it's 80 minutes, although the last 20 are really worth waiting for. I suppose that because the short story is only a few pages long, they had to inject a romantic angle. Although it deviates from the source material, I really love the sense of gothic atmosphere. I recently got a Vincent Price boxed set as a birthday gift and I will be reviewing more movies like this in the future.




No comments: