Thursday, August 21, 2008

Elvira & Movie Macabre 1



One of my fondest midnight viewing memories was to watch Elvira's Movie Macabre on Friday and Saturday Nights in the early 1990s.  These were obviously reruns from the 1980s.  While watching movies that are so bad they are good is a lot of fun, Elvira makes it even better.  I wish I had recorded these shows back in the day, but there are ways to acquire these episodes if you try hard enough.  This week, I watched 2 movies, both hosted by her.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - 8/10
I had heard so many things about this movie when I was a kid, and I finally got to watch it. The version that I watched was hosted by Elvira on Hallowe'en Night in 1997--a copy which I obtained through tape trading on the internet. I thought that the movie was corny at first, but the last 30 minutes were very effective at conveying the sheer terror that the final protagonist was going through.

Maneater of Hydra (1967) - 4/10
I bought this on a special Elvira "Double Feature" DVD.  I am fairly generous when watching and judging old horror movies, but this one was not very good.  The dubbing was terrible and it looked like they transferred this movie from a worn-out VHS tape to DVD.  But it was fun to anticipate when Elvira was going to cut in and say some clever puns and corny jokes.  This a spanish horror movie involving a mad botanist who has created a vampiric tree that terrorizes travelers to his islands.

No comments: